A few weeks ago, Facebook announced Messenger Rooms, its new alternative to make group video calls with up to 50 people. However, it has not been until today that the company has launched it globally. Messenger Rooms is now available, although it seems to be progressively activating. It is possible that not all users have access right now, so it will be a matter of waiting.
Messenger Rooms works both with those users who have a Facebook account and with those who do not. In fact, one of its added points is that you can create a link to share it with other users and that they join more easily. Calls are encrypted with the same system as Facebook Messenger (which is not end-to-end) and Facebook ensures that no audio or video information is collected. Presentations made, let’s see how it is used.
How to start a video call in Messenger Rooms
We start by looking at how to start a chat room from your mobile. For this, it is necessary to have the Facebook Messenger application installed ( iOS / Android ). It does not matter the operating system since the procedure is the same. The steps to follow are those:
- We open Facebook Messenger and go to the ” People ” tab .
- At the top we will see the option “Create a room”, so we click on it.
- Messenger will automatically create the room and display the camera image, plus a button to send the link to our contacts.
- In the same way, the app would allow us to modify the link so that anyone or only those with a Facebook account can join. This option can be modified once the video call has started.
Now let’s see how to start the video call from the browser , which is even easier. Just follow the instructions below:
- We open the Facebook website and log in.
- Next to the bell icon where notifications are displayed is the Messenger icon. Click on it.
- When doing so, the chats and a camera icon with the “+” symbol will appear . Again, click on it.
- Once this is done, we will have started the room and we can modify the settings to select the camera with which we want to record, the microphone and, of course, if users with Facebook or any other account can join.
Now it only remains to share the link through the means that we want, such as WhatsApp, Instagram or Facebook feed itself and wait for people to join. It goes without saying that in order to join, users will have to have the Messenger app installed or, failing that, enter from the computer using the browser or the app for Windows or Mac.
As we said before, it is possible that not all users have the function activated . Everything indicates that Facebook is activating it progressively, so it will be a matter of time. Be that as it may, before anything else it does not hurt to make sure that we have the latest version of Facebook Messenger installed.
👇 More in NUpgrade