What is MagSafe on the iPhone 12 and what can it do?
The fast charging feature that fits in place opens up the possibility of a number of new accessories and can be more useful than 5G.
Perhaps the biggest news that Apple’s new iPhone 12 line brought was the MagSafe, a small magnetic coil on the back of the device that works with a variety of different peripherals. These accessories can be purchased to enhance your experience with your iPhone.
It’s an intriguing concept, perhaps reminiscent of Motorola’s Moto Mods or the current accessory pins found on iPads. Due to the short time since the launch of the iPhone 12, it remains to be seen how popular these accessories will become, but there is certainly a lot of potentials.
Apple’s initial applications for Magsafe are two: magnetic chargers that are on the back of the device, and the covers that stick to it. But according to third-party manufacturers, there are many more possibilities.
In terms of innovation, MagSafe has a lot in common with 5G; both are technologies on the iPhone 12 that will become more impressive over time.
If you’re not sure how the iPhone MagSafe works, we’ve explained everything you need to know in this post – and we’ve also listed some of the top MagSafe gadgets for sale that you can consider buying.
What is MagSafe?
MagSafe is capable of doing many things, which makes it difficult to describe in a single word. It is a combination of an assembly system and a charging system, revealing great potential for Apple and accessory manufacturers.
Apple started with its Qi wireless charging coil, and added several new components to create a proprietary type of wireless charging, as well as allowing the assembly of different accessories. This allows for enhanced MagSafe wireless charging with the addition of magnets and continuous support for Qi wireless charging.
This new feature will be present on all new iPhones, including iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Among the various components of MagSafe is a new magnetometer and a single-coil NFC reader. This allows the device to communicate with accessories in new ways.
How does MagSafe work?
Simply put, the MagSafe consists of a strong magnet under the back cover of the iPhone 12 (and the rest of the line too). This ring magnet is placed in the center of the back of the iPhone – and it appears to be very large, according to Apple’s descriptions.
MagSafe gadgets are accessories that you can purchase separately for your iPhone, which make use of this magnetic ring so that they can be attached to it. You can even connect multiple MagSafe peripherals, such as a case and wallet attachment at the same time, although we imagine that not all are compatible with each other.
But one of the main uses of MagSafe is certainly wireless charging – although, since MagSafe chargers are wires that connect to the back of the iPhone, it might be better to describe it as a ‘portless charging’.
The iPhone 12 charges at 15 W using MagSafe – which is twice the charging speed using a normal wireless charger with the device.
You can also attach things like cases and wallets (for your credit cards) and, as you can use both at the same time, you can imagine that this magnet is very strong.
What are the MagSafe accessories to buy?
OtterBox Aneu MagSafe Case
If you want to use MagSafe to make your smartphone more protected, then you can buy some cases that do. OtterBox is a manufacturer of cell phone cases (cases) with a history of great products.
And the company already offers some official MagSafe models for the new iPhone 12. OtterBox’s MagSafe cases are cheaper than Apple’s and come in some beautiful colors, although the selection is not large.
iPhone 12 MagSafe Leather Wallet
If you often use a case with space to carry your bank cards, Apple has a similar MagSafe model – like a wallet that attaches to the back of the iPhone.
You can use it in conjunction with a MagSafe case, although when third party alternatives are launched, it is possible that the wallet is not compatible with them. There are four color versions to choose from, but they are all leather.
iPhone 12 MagSafe Charger
The MagSafe charger on the iPhone 12 uses the magnets on the back of the smartphone to align properly, ensuring you get the maximum possible speeds. Sure, having a magnetic charger attached to the back of the iPhone makes the whole “wireless” thing redundant, but it’s still less complicated than a real charging cable.
Apple recommendations for the MagSafe charger:
- Do not place credit cards, security badges, passports, or key rings between the iPhone and the MagSafe charger, as doing so may damage the magnetic tapes or RFID chips on these items. If you have a case that contains any of these sensitive items, remove them before charging, or make sure they are not between the back of your device and the charger.
- As with other wireless chargers, your iPhone or MagSafe charger can get a little hotter while the iPhone charges. To extend the life of the battery, if it gets too hot, the software can limit charging to over 80%. Your iPhone or MagSafe charger may get hotter and charging may take longer after heavy use. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.
- Your iPhone will not charge wirelessly when connected simultaneously to power via the Lightning port – instead, your iPhone will charge via the Lightning connector.
- Learn how to clean your MagSafe charger.
- If you keep your iPhone in a leather case while charging with the MagSafe charger, the case may have circular contact marks.
More in NUpgrade
- Tips on how to CHARGE your MOBILE phone RIGHT
- What is the difference between 5GHz Wi-Fi and 5G internet?
- Minimum requirements to run Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War on PC
- Assassin’s Creed is coming to Netflix in multiple series, including live-action program
- 5 things to consider before upgrading your Windows PC’s RAM
- How to download videos from the internet from almost ANY website without programs