Qualcomm Announces World’s First 5G and AI Robotics Platform
With the expansion of the 5G network in the world, companies are already taking advantage of the advantages that this connectivity offers to improve their services, products, and platforms, in addition to creating new solutions for end customers or companies
With this, Qualcomm announced yesterday, June 17, the launch of the World’s First 5G and AI Robotics Platform, Qualcomm Robotics RB5, which is specifically designed for robotics.
The platform brings together Qualcomm’s 5G and AI experiences to enable developers and manufacturers to create the next generation of high-energy, low-power robots and drones that, in the future, may be made available to consumers, businesses and various industry sectors .
Check out the main highlights of Qualcomm Robotics RB5:
- Powerful heterogeneous computing resources: For high-powered computing performance, the Qualcomm QRB5165 processor on the Qualcomm RB5 platform integrates the Octa-Core Qualcomm Kryo 585 chipset, the powerful Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU, multiple DSPs (computing, audio, and sensor) and ISPs. It also contains a powerful and dedicated artificial intelligence engine, which includes the Hexagon Tensor Accelerator and a dedicated hardware block for computer vision (EnhancedVideo Analytics engine)
- Qualcomm’s 5th Generation Artificial Intelligence Engine: The new dedicated hexagonal tensioner accelerator is based on Qualcomm’s fifth-generation artificial intelligence engine, providing 15 TOPS of AI performance with high AI and ML inferences.
- Advanced imaging capability that can process 2 Gigapixels per second: The Qualcomm Spectra 480 Image Signal Processor (ISP) captures fast, professional-quality photos and videos and can process 2 Gigapixels per second. This speed supports superior camera features, including Dolby Vision video capture, 8K video recording (at 30 FPS), and 200-megapixel photos, and simultaneously captures 4K HDR videos (at 120 FPS) and 64 MP photos with shutter lag. The hardware accelerator uses Engine for Video Analytics (EVA) to handle all Computer Vision (CV) tasks. Additional ISP features include HEIF photo capture, slow motion video capture, and advanced video capture formats (including Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10 +, HEVC, and HLG). Seven simultaneous cameras facilitate simultaneous location and mapping (SLAM), object detection, and classification.
- Security support: Qualcomm’s secure processing unit is designed to provide robust security without compromising power. The Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit includes secure boot, cryptographic accelerators, QualcommcTrusted Execution Environment (TEE) and camera security and is FIPS 140-2 certified. Additional security features include key provisioning security, malware protection, Qualcomm Content Protection, Qualcomm Mobile Security, Qualcomm Processor Security, and secure token to support remote attestation and secure device provisioning. For advanced AI and ML security, the platform supports biometric authentication (including fingerprint, iris, voice, and face).
- Connectivity: The Qualcomm Robotics RB5 platform supports long-range Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.1 and 4G, and 5G, offering the highest level of connectivity available.
Qualcomm® Robotics RB5 facilitates the accelerated development of robots and drones and can be used by developers from various companies to create products. LG Electronics, for example, has already reported that it is evaluating the platform to use it next year to launch next generation robotic products based on it.
It is expected to be available later this year. For more details on the platform, visit the official Qualcomm Developer Network website at this link or the Qualcomm Technologies product page through this link. A development kit for the Qualcomm Robotics RB5 platform is also available for pre-order on the Thundercomm website.
👇 More in NUpgrade
- OPPO demonstrates possible new camera technologies at CVPR 2020
- Patent reveals technology for foldable iPhone, which would already have a prototype
- WWDC 2020: Apple invites the public to set reminders for a keynote that takes place on the 22nd
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 4 leaks on a poster showing strong inspiration in the design of the Mi Mix Alpha
- Betting up! iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max appear in the list of screens with 120Hz